Monday, June 9, 2014

ARC Review: Cinderella’s Dress by Shonna Slayton

ARC received for an honest opinion
Three Stars

So I have to confess that I was drawn to this story because of the gorgeous cover. I know that this not a reason to like a story or want to read. I don’t usually read Young Adults too much but I thought that this story sounded interesting. There were some aspects of the story I liked and some I thought didn’t really help the story. I compromised on a three star because I did like the story, I just didn’t love it as much as I wanted to.

When the story starts a servant girl is entrusted in keeping a very important dress that belongs to her mistress. It is instantly clear that this dress is very important and the servant is sent away to keep it safe. The story then skips to present day “World War II”. The heroine, Kate, works at a shop. She has to fight a lot of sexism to keep it. The author really showed the struggles of woman in the era and their struggle to keep their jobs and be taken seriously. Kate is sweet but very young so there were moments when she became a little irritating. Basically she is a typical teenager, she has moments of doubts, and is not sure how to always handle situations. I thought that this book would be more like a fairytale but really the name “Cinderella” was as far as the fairytale aspect went. 

There are some parts of historical fiction, some parts of romance, some parts of intrigue and some parts are flat. I liked that Kate was a young person trying to find her way but I felt that the build of the dress was really just a ruse to get readers hooked. Overall, this was a cute and entertaining story. If any readers really like history and especially WWII they will enjoy this story and the nuisances of the time period. 
Cinderella's Dress

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Scandalous Ladies of London #2 The Duchess: The Scandalous Ladies of London

Classic Sophie Jordan! I really , really enjoyed this book. I could not wait to read about Valencia! I thought her story was very unique... ...