Tuesday, December 22, 2015

ARC Review: Falling Into Bed with a Duke by Lorraine Heath


Three Stars


Lorraine Heath kicks off a new series with “Falling Into Bed with a Duke.” This new series is labeled “The Hellions of Havisham” which include The Duke of Ashebury and one of his best friends- Edward. In true Lorraine Heath many characters from other books make their appearance here such as Grace from the “Scandalous Gentlemen of St. James “ series, which I loved and most notably Jack Dodger from “Scoundrels of St. James” series. I loved that Heath is able to continue their stories interlacing them with new characters.

Minerva Dodger is Jack’s daughter. She is very outspoken but not very pretty. She has been out for six seasons but the only offers of marriage have come about because of her very large dowry. Because of her large dowry she often gets marriage proposals but it’s very obvious that they want her money and not her. Minerva is tired of sitting back and letting life pass her by, she is ready to take matters into her own hands. She decides that she will visit a place that is top secret but is specifically where people go and derive pleasure. Her very good friend Grace finds out the location and Minerva disguises herself and names herself Lady V. In this place of pleasure she immediately draws the attention of Ashe. Ashe is no stranger to living a wild life. After he was left orphaned when his parents died he lived under the care of a guardian but has pretty much done what he wants. Ashe has traveled all over the world and has had many adventures. He is very popular in London society and very charming with women. Minerva is shocked when she draws his attention.

As Ashe and Minerva get to know each other they do so in society and anonymous at the famous house of pleasure. Ashe instantly suspects that Minerva is Lady V but both are pushing the limits of their relationship in and out of society. Ashe and Minerva are very different people. She has a very good head for business and he has a great passion for photography. Ashe knows that if he wants to win Minerva’s heart he has to first win her respect. As the story unfolds and Minerva lets her guard down around Ashe she is heartbroken to discover that she might not have protected her heart enough.

I love Lorraine Heath and have read many of her books. She is a fantastic writer and has amazing storylines. I have to confess that I’m in a bit of a reading slump. I drift form book to book and none really capture my attention for long periods of time. I thought that “Falling into Bed with a Duke” would help me with my slump but it really didn’t. Although I liked both the hero and heroine I didn’t think that they had great chemistry. Ashe was charming but I didn’t get a strong sense of him being a “rogue” or heartbreaker. Minerva was interesting but I didn’t love her as much as I would have loved to. Nonetheless I’m still going to anticipate the next book in the series and I’m hoping that Edward and Julia will play a part in the future books. I can say with certainty that Lorraine Heath fans will enjoy reading this first book in the new “The Hellions of Havisham” series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Scandalous Ladies of London #2 The Duchess: The Scandalous Ladies of London

Classic Sophie Jordan! I really , really enjoyed this book. I could not wait to read about Valencia! I thought her story was very unique... ...